These commonly raised objections and questions come from the Evantell Seeds program. We’re going through this evangelism program at our church on Wednesday evenings. Perhaps you’ve asked a few of these yourself!
- Won’t a good moral life get me to Heaven? God doesn’t demand good, but perfection. If any amount of goodness gets us to Heaven, Jesus didn’t have to die.
- How do you know the Bible is true? See 2 Timothy 3.16. God does not breathe lies. Christianity does not stand or fall on the Bible but on the empty tomb of Christ. The empty tomb is the most attested fact of history.
- What about those who have never heard of Jesus? They are still without excuse (see Romans 1.20). Creation tells us that there is a God of whom there is no equal. Creation => Creator => Christ. Hebrews 11.6 says that God rewards those who diligently seek Him. But Romans 3 tell us none seek after God. God starts the process of seeking in a person.
- With so many hypocrites in Christianity, why should I listen to you? We’re not listening to Christians but to Christ. Trust Him! He wasn’t a hypocrite. Tell them that for every Christian who is a hypocrite you are able to show them another who is trying to live the Christian life. Ask them to come with you one day and give you the opportunity to show them. Jesus set the standard of perfection. When we trust in Him, we are viewed as perfect in God’s sight. Our trust leads to the imputation of Christ’s righteousness on us.
- How can a loving God send someone to Hell? God does not send anyone to Hell. God has provided a way of salvation. Jesus took our place and punishment. Trusting Christ gives us eternal life. If a person goes to Hell, it is because they rejected Christ. ““He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” (John 3:18)
- Aren’t there a lot of ways to get to the same place? When it comes to Heaven, there is only one way (see John 14.6; 11.25).
- What difference does it make what I believe or how I live? Go back to the empty tomb. If Christ arose, it matters. See John 8. What you believe has an impact upon how you live.
- I don’t know if I could live the Christian life. You can’t. God doesn’t expect you to right now. Enter the Christian life, then God will come into you and live His life through you (Galatians 2.20).
- If God is a God of love, why is there so much suffering in the world? Suffering is a result of sin. Don’t start with suffering in the world; start with the suffering of Christ upon the cross. God did something about suffering. He sent His Son.
- I’m too busy. I don’t have time to think about this right now. The issue is taking time not having time. We take time for what is important to us. God is out to save us; Satan is out to keep us. It’s eternally important, so make the time.
If you need spiritual help, contact me! If you want to know how you can receive Christ as your Savior, then read THIS.